FISHING TRIP #OI-HDRE1
Sturgeon Fishing in Idaho is Spectacular!
It’s not unusual to catch 8 foot sturgeon on this trip, but the lucky angler can land one over 10 feet, weighing more than 300 pounds
Imagine relaxing on the Snake River, enjoying the sights and sounds Hells Canyon has to offer, and the peace is shattered as your reel begins to scream! A sturgeon has grabbed your bait and the fight is on! Depending on the size of the fish (they can be OVER TEN FEET LONG), you can probably plan on a battle of close to 45 minutes. Often, the fight is so terrific that the angler is totally worn out by the time the fish is landed. Remember your camera, because the picture of your behemoth river monster provides bragging rights, and many stories to be told over and over. Be sure you know how to take good fishing photos.
You Should See Lots of Wildlife, and Catch a TON of Smallmouth Bass!
Sturgeon fishing isn’t the only thing you’ll be doing on this trip…the smallmouth bass fishing is beyond terrific, and anglers often catch so many that their hands get sore from handling them. Wildlife is commonly seen along the river as well, and if you are lucky, you can see black bears, mule and whitetail deer, wild turkeys, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, elk, Canada geese, bald and golden eagles, ospreys, and many more. This can be just a day trip, but we suggest three days of fishing for the best experience.
Hells Canyon is the deepest gorge in North America.
- It is not unusual to catch sturgeon up to 8 feet but the lucky anglers can land one over 10 feet and over 300 pounds. *Sturgeon in Idaho cannot be kept, this is a catch and release fishery only.
- Sturgeon, smallmouth bass, rainbow trout, salmon and steelhead can all be caught, depending on the time of year. Check Idaho Fish and Game Regulations.
- April through October
- Smallmouth bass are incredibly numerous and persistent anglers can land over 100 per day.
- This is a relaxing trip, and makes for an amazing family vacation. Bring the kids!
- The water is pleasantly warm and some areas are great for swimming such as the famous Sturgeon Rock. Water toys are available for children.
- When your not fighting river monsters, enjoy the scenery, fine wines and cold beer.
- All trips up and down the river will be in jet boats.
- Read Fishing Reports and Outfitter Reviews
Lodging and Accommodations
- You are welcome to bring your own camping gear.
- Campers, camp trailers, tents are all welcome.
- OR you can stay at Kirkwood lodge, where you dine on extravagant food in large quantities and relax morning an evening on the deck.
- Another option, if you don’t want to camp or stay in the cabins is a local motel.
- If you have any nutritional needs that need special attention please let us know when you are booking your trip.
The guides are very knowledgeable of the river and have many years of experience on how to pilot the jet boats through the rapids. They are trained in first aid and the Heimlich method breathing assistance. Guides will train fishermen in how to fish for all types of fish and provide fishing tackle.
Typical Trip Itinerary
- Day One: On the morning of the first day, the sturgeon fishermen will be picked up at the boat dock at Pittsburg Landing. Make sure you have a good hat and sunscreen. After traveling upstream, into the mighty Hells Canyon in the jetboat, and fishing all the best sturgeon holes, a nice lunch will be served on a beach. After lunch, enjoy a little relaxation and a cold drink. Then back at it! You’ll fish until late afternoon where you will start heading back to the Kirkwood lodge for your wonderful evening meal and comfortable beds await you.
- Day Two: On the second day, you’ll eat a hearty breakfast, then the captain heads down river where, besides fishing you do some touring of the Hells Canyon. You’ll see the beautiful scenery where the Inmaha and Salmon rivers enter the Snake River.
- Day Three: After breakfast on the third morning, back over the mountains we go, and in about 30-45 minutes you will arrive in Whitebird, Idaho. Captain Homer will have the boat rarin’ to go, and off you go down the mighty Salmon River, commonly known as The River of no Return. After a fabulous day of fishing, swimming eating lunch on a crystal white sand beach you return to Whitebird, where the chef will have a delicious Luau-style meal prepared for you on the beach. Then, of course there are new beautiful cabins with the deck hanging over the river and comfortable beds that we are sure you will need. There are three cabins. Two of them comfortably sleep four, and the last cabin sleeps six.
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality outfitters are in high demand so let us know right away, as some trips do book years in advance.
- All fishing tackle and bait provided for both sturgeon, smallmouth bass and trout.
- Seasonal salmon and steelhead tackle and bait.
- On the river 8am through 4pm.
- Cleaning of all fish that are legal to keep and eat.
- Ice cold drinks and snacks.
- Historical information and stops at old settlements and Native American rock writings.
- There are bathroom stops along the river, and the captain will provide additional bathroom equipment if needed.
- Trip Insurance
- Idaho Fishing License
- Hard alcohol, and wine,
- Camping gear
Photos from this Fishing Trip:
We look forward to assisting you in finding and booking an amazing hunt with the best guides and outfitters in the world. Contact us to get on the books.