Argentina Golden Dorado River Cruiser
This is one of the most unique Golden Dorado fishing programs available!
The all new river cruiser is a luxury live aboard vessel that has been specially built to provide luxury and comfort to the angler. The vessel is designed to be able to move where the fish are throughout different seasons. This allows anglers to stay close to the prime fishing water and cut down on travel each day.
The Parana River Delta is the second largest in South America next to the Amazon. It encompasses 4,600 square miles of river channel, back bays, lagoons, river banks, and fish habitat. The abundance of baitfish in the system allow for predator fish like the Golden Dorado to thrive in these waters.
Only Mother Ship program in all of Argentina
- Less daily travel to the fishing areas = more fishing!
- Exclusive off beaten path access
- Unique fishing opportunities and fish new areas daily
- Other fish species Pacu, Pira Pita, Tararira (Wolf Fish), Surubi, Chafalote
- Year round fishery, with the peak Dorado fishing November through March.
- October to January offer excellent fishing for wolf fish and they are a joy to catch on poppers.
- Only 2.5 hours from Buenos Aires!
Dates and Pricing
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality outfitters are in high demand so let us know right away, as some trips do book years in advance.
- Airport or hotel pick up
- Round trip ground transfers from your location in Buenos Aires to the mothership
- Guided fishing on the Parana River and its tributaries (2 anglers per guide)
- Fishing Licenses
- Lodging (double rooms each with a private bathroom)
- All meals while on the mothership
- All drinks, such as great Argentinian wine, beer, soft drinks, and cocktails (open bar policy)
- Wireless Internet access
- Fishing rods and reels if needed
- Airfare to Buenos Aires
- Hotel in Buenos Aires
- Guide and staff gratuities
- Use of satellite telephone if needed to make a call
- Flies (available for purchase on the mothership)
- Wire tippet and leaders
- Trip Insurance is highly recommended for any trip overseas.
The Golden Dorado likes to ambush it prey while hiding in structure or hanging in the currents of river channels.
Their aggressive nature and acrobatic displays mixed with their one of a kind golden color lists it as one of the top freshwater game fish to pursue! Combine the fishing with world class lodging, top notch experienced guides and a remote location and you have a must do angling adventure! If you like targeting aggressive carnivorous fish you better put the golden dorado on your list!
The numbers of dorado in this system are plentiful.
If you are an experienced angler you can expect to catch 10-15 dorado per day with chances at more. Fish are in the 3-7 pound range with fish up to and exceeding 10 pound an everyday occurrence. Remember golden dorado have incredibly hard mouth and a solid hook set is required to keep them pinned.
The mothership allows guests the opportunity to fish the most remote waters with very under-pressured fish.
Well presented flies and casts of 30-50 feet will have you in the fierce action all day. In addition to the Dorado this river system has many other predatory fish that are available. This ecosystem has one of the largest migratory runs of baitfish sábalo, pejerrey and sardines which are the main food source for these predators. Other fish species available to anglers on the Parana River system is Pacu, Pira Pita, Palometa, Tararira (Wolf Fish), Surubi (large catfish), Chafalote (Parana Payara).
Lodging and Accommodations are Top-Notch
The Parana Gipsy mothership is 75 feet long and 25 feet wide with three levels.
Lodging is provided on the ship which features on its first level 4 double bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, each provided with A/C for added comfort. The second level has a beautiful living room, dining room, and kitchen. The second level also offers a deck to relax and take in the incredible views and wildlife as you enjoy a cocktail before dinner. The upper most level has a magnificent 360 degree view, provided with comfortable lounge chairs.
- Satellite phone, flat screen TV with films and TV, and Internet are available as well.
- The Parana Gypsy even provides same day laundry service folded neatly and placed on your bed.
- The mother ship accommodates up to eight anglers maximum per week.
The food on the boat is nothing short of 5-star.
You will be thoroughly impressed by the food on this trip and wonder how they can prepare such intricate delicious meals in such a remote locale and on a boat to boot! Argentine cuisine is known for its phenomenal meats with incredible flavors and high quality. Aside from the delicious meats, Argentina is known for great cheeses that pair marvelously with its fine wines and beers. You will experience some of the finest Argentine cuisine on one of the most unique angling destinations! In some cases lunches or dinners may be served at land with full comfort, at a special sand bar, or lonely small island, it just depends on where the river takes you.
*Please let us know of any food allergies before hand and we will be sure to notify the chef.
Typical Daily Schedule
On this trip you won’t have to worry about a thing and focus on the fishing and enjoying your experience in Argentina with one of the most respected and successful outfitters in Argentina – check out his rainbow trout fishing on Strobel Lake, or ask about the duck hunting/golden dorado fishing combo.
The fishing day is often split into two sessions, the morning and evening.
Lunch and a siesta split the fishing sessions which is often served at 1PM. This schedule offers you the angler to fish the most productive parts of the day and also during the summer months avoid the hottest part of the day. After the second session you will return for a shower followed by appetizers and refreshments. Dinner is served at 9PM with a house wine.
- Breakfast is served at 8AM and then you and your fishing partner will meet your guide to head out to your fishing area. Plenty of water and drinks will be packed along in a cooler.
- Lunch: Depending on location of the Mother Ship and angler preference, lunch can be enjoyed on the Cruiser or on the skiff while staying out with your guide.
- Evening Fishing Session: The timing for the evening depends on the time of the year and angler preference, afternoon fishing will start around 3:00 pm and finish at dusk back at the mothership.
Expect long fishing days chasing dorado. Many days will exceed 8 hours. However the fishing programs can be tailored to angler preference and is arranged daily with your guide and the captain.
Guides are seasoned professionals.
The majority of the fishing will be done from 17-foot Carolina Skiffs with 90hp Yamaha outboards. Each boat has a trolling motor to keep anglers in casting distance of shorelines and structure. The boat is set up to fish one angler in front and one in the back. The boats are maintained in excellent condition and are great to fish from.
Each day you will be fishing new waters and trying new areas that are known to hold fish.
Dorado tend to hang close to the banks or structure to ambush their prey. They will dart out fast from their lies to kill anything that looks like food. Once you see the gold flash and feel the unmistakable pull you must give them a hard strip set. Dorado have a hard boney mouth and you must really drive the hook home in order to pin up or they will be off at the first jump.
Dorado fishing requires fairly accurate casts with large wind resistant flies.
Before your trip be sure to practice casting large baitfish imitations in order to generate more hooks ups and have a more successful trip. Don’t forget to look around the Parana River Delta has many unique birds and is a beautiful place to cast a fly!
This trip is normally operated Saturday to Saturday, but it is possible to do shorter weeks and change in and out days if availability permits.
Travel to the mothership is relatively easy and many major airports in the US fly overnight into Buenos Aires Ministro Pistarini International Airport (EZE). Once you arrive you will be transferred to the boat by the outfitters agent or the agent can pick you up at your desired hotel if you choose to spend time in Buenos Aires before your trip. The travel time to the water is about 2.5 hours and then a 1 hour boat ride to the mothership.
I suggest booking your flight to arrive in Buenos Aires as early as possible on the day of your trip to allow fishing on your arrival day. On your departure day it is recommended to book flights after 5PM to allow plenty of time for the transfer to the airport.
Day of Arrival
- Arrive in Buenos Aires.
- Ground transfer to the marina and then boat transfer to the mothership.
- Upon arrival to the mothership you will be greeted by captain and staff along with an orientation. You will have time to unpack your gear and if time allows go fishing for a few hours.
- Dinner is served around 9:00 pm and appetizers and cocktails are available before lunch and dinner.
Day of Departure
- Guests will usually leave after breakfast between 8:00 – 9:00 am depending on flight times.
- You will have the one hour boat transfer and 2.5-3 hour land transfer back to Buenos Aires airport or your hotel.