Argentina Fly Fishing Lodge
Strobel Lake looks like saltwater, but it is teaming with small scuds and massive rainbow trout below the surface. These behemoths are caught on a regular basis by our anglers.
In fact, on a recent hosted trip, the average fish weighed an astounding 12 pounds…and we caught dozens of them! The Barrancoso River is a typical mountain freestone river, with clear water and big boulders holding gorgeous trout in its beautiful pools, pocket water, flats and runs. You will also have access to Moro Creek and over 12 smaller lakes and lagoons. This outfitter is the obvious choice for serious anglers looking for a fishing trip of a lifetime.
The southern end of the famous Patagonian region in Argentina is a remote but luxurious destination that boasts the largest rainbow trout in the world. It is not uncommon to land multiple double digit rainbow trout a day with chances at fish in the 20’s. With excellent food and comfortable accommodations this is a trip of a lifetime.
Strobel Lake or as some have come to call it, “Jurassic Lake” is one of the most remote, wild and best fishing destinations in the world!
- Come sometime between November through Mid-January because the big fish will be stacking up near the mouth of the Barrancoso River. The fishing this time of year can be truly astounding.
- All the guides and camp staff are the best of the best and take care of you every step of the way.
- Other Activities: Glacier tours in El Calafate, fishing in other lakes and streams around the area
- Moderately difficult. It is a windy destination so practice your casting.
- Recommended Article: Fly Fishing Rainbow Trout at Strobel Lake Argentina | Travel, Gear, and Fishing Expectations
Dates and Pricing
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality trips are in high demand so let us know right away, as some do book years in advance.
This Fully Customizable Wilderness Trip Includes:
- Pick up and transfer from El Calafate, Argentina.
- Accommodations, Meals and Wine.
- Fishing and Guiding.
- Travel to and from Argentina.
- Any extra activities outside of fishing.
- Flies to purchase at the lodge if needed.
- Wire fee.
- Trip Insurance is highly recommended for any trip overseas.
Lodging and Accommodations
With excellent food and comfortable accommodations, this is a trip of a lifetime.
The lodge is strategically located only a cast away from the fishing and is a typical “Estancia house” accommodating up to 10 anglers per week. It has 7 double bedrooms with comfortable “en suite” bathrooms, provided with hot water.
Get ready for some excellent cuisine, Estancia Laguna Verde employs some of the best chefs from the region preparing the finest meals with local flavors. Shore lunch will be prepared every day at a variety of structures built by the lodge. Hot, delicious meals enjoyed with a beer are a great way to relax for an hour while fishing.
The guides and staff here are great. They will really do everything they can to make sure your week is special and you get into fish. The guiding is usually done two guests per guide. When you’ve already caught 6 or 7 huge trout and it’s past the time to go back to the lodge so you look at your guide to motion if it’s time to go and he says “nah, keep fishing I want you to catch one more” that’s the sign of a great guide who wants to be there and truly loves his profession. The staff works very hard for you and they have a long season. Be sure to tip them appropriately to show your appreciation.
The travel to the Estancia is not difficult it is however a fairly long drive from the airport.
It is required to overnight in El Calafate the day before your trip and some of my clients decide to overnight a day in Buenos Aires as well. It just depends what type of traveler you are and how much time you have. International flights depart from Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, New York, or Miami. The main airlines are LatAm or Aerolineas Argentinas. It needs to be noted that Buenos Aires has three airports. You will likely fly into EZE and then need to transfer across the city to AEP, which is about a 45-minute drive. From here you will fly to El Calafate and take a $15 dollar taxi ride to your hotel.
The Design Hotel is a good hotel in El Calafate with a view of Lago Argentina. There are plenty of options for hotels in the small city that range from $100-140 per night. The morning of your trip you are picked up and drive about 5 hours to the Estancia. This is a pretty drive across the countryside and as you get further from El Calafate the area becomes more desolate. You are travelling to a very remote destination.
On your departure day you will be brought back to the airport with plenty of time to catch your afternoon flight. The tourist shop on the way back has empanadas, pizza, and sandwiches that make for a quick but delicious lunch.
*You will need a passport.
Suggested Gear List for a Fly Fishing Trip to Strobel Lake
- Sun layers
- Warm base layers and hat
- Puffy coat
- Rain jacket/wading jacket
- Wool socks
- Sandals, crocs, slippers for lodge
- Water bottle if you choose
- Thermos if you choose
- Camera and extra batteries
- Lip balm and skin moisturizer
- Dramamine if you get car sick
- Any medications
*they can do laundry at the lodge so no need to over pack.
- Breathable Waders and boots
- Sun gloves
- Cold weather gloves
- Billed hat
- Polarized glasses
- 7-8wt fly rods (I suggest a back up)
- floating line WF taper (It will be windy so something that can punch through the wind to get your cast out 30+feet)
- fluorocarbon leader material in 10-20 pound
- extra leaders or leader material to build your own
- bead head or jigged Wooly buggers in assorted color, Olive, black, brown
- Hot head black/olive buggers
- Scuds in assorted colors and sizes
- Prince nymphs
- Red San Juan’s with bead or without
- Mouse pattern
- Egg patterns
- Bring a few large foam hoppers as well
**Make sure all flies are on heavy wire hooks!