DIY Hunts for Blacktail Deer, Ducks and Fishing on Kodiak Island
This is the perfect Alaskan hunt for a group of hunting buddies! You will have plenty of adventure and see lots of game on this do-it-yourself hunt on Kodiak Island.
There is no need to pay extra for guide services, because OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL can help set you up for success on our DIY hunts on Kodiak. Our transporter is located in Larsen Bay on Kodiak Island. This area is remote and fly in or boat in only. Our transporter has years of experience and knows where and when he can drop off hunters to get into deer. Larsen Bay and the neighboring Uyak bay has plenty of smaller bays and lagoons to be dropped off so you likely won’t hunt the same area twice in a week!
DIY Hunts on Kodiak Island, Alaska
This area of Kodiak typically doesn’t see the winter kill like other parts of the island and has concentrations of deer. There are plenty of mature bucks in the area to go after. Depending on the time of year you may have to hike up higher to the brush line to find them or if weather has set in they will be down closer to the beaches.
- This area of Kodiak Island offers an abundance of deer and other wildlife such as, whales, seals, otters, sea ducks, brown bears and fox.
- This is an unguided with boat transportation included.
- You can choose to stay at a remote cabin located in a lagoon, or stay in the main lodge in the village.
- Hunters can combo their Sitka blacktail deer hunt with small game (fox), ducks or winter kings and halibut fishing.
- One Deer per non-resident hunter
- Groups of up to 2-6 hunters can be accommodated for, 6 hunters to book the lodge exclusive.
- Alaska residents can mountain goat hunt as this is a TWO goat area!
- Hunts can take place from late August – December.
Lodging and Accommodations
You can choose to stay at a remote cabin located in a lagoon, or stay in the main lodge in the village.
Lodge in town:
- Nice house/lodge in the village with 3 double occupancy bedrooms.
- Nice dining area and hangout room with TV and lounge chairs
- Washer and Dryer
Can talk about a special rate if hunters choose to stay across the bay in his driftwood built cabins and bring their own food.
- Woodstove and oil heated
- Generator for electric
- Upstairs dorm style sleeping area
- Hot water shower and outhouse
This is not a 5-star lodge but you will not go hungry and the food is very good.
- Great home style breakfast and dinners
- Sandwiches and granola bars packed for lunch
Typical Daily Schedule
- You will have an early morning breakfast and coffee before heading down to the dock to the boat.
- You can do some glassing from the boat if its calm or get dropped off on the beach to start your hunt.
- Lunch takes place in the field.
- You will plan a pick up time or be in radio/inreach contact with the transporter and usually be picked up before dark to allow for travel back to the harbor.
- Depending on the tides and weather/wind may affect your drop off and pick up times.
- You’ll fly commercially to Kodiak City, Alaska. Commercial flights from the lower 48 to Anchorage and on to Kodiak City should be booked with Alaska Airlines as they are the most liberal with extra baggage fees and bringing home your meat, capes, and antlers.
- From Kodiak City to Larsen Bay is a short 35 minute and very scenic charter flight over the mountains and ocean bays. This flight can be booked direct with Island Air. Flight cost is approximately $350-450 round trip (based on current rates & additional cargo on the return trip). The Island Air terminal/office is located just across the parking lot from the Kodiak airport. They are friendly and helpful when booking flights.
- Typically guests will spend an evening in Anchorage or Kodiak City depending on travel preferences and flight times from the lower 48.
- Please understand Kodiak Island can have bad weather and delayed commercial flights and charter flights are possible.
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality outfitters are in high demand so let us know right away, as some trips do book years in advance.
This Hunt Includes:
- Larsen Bay airport pick up Transport to and from the field
- Home cooked Meals
- Freezer space and area to process your deer
- Airline approved fish boxes to pack your meat into for travel home
- Flights to and from Kodiak and between Kodiak City and Larsen Bay
- Any hotel stays in Kodiak or ANC (any extra lodging due to inclement weather)
- Meat processing
- Any alcoholic beverages
- License and tags
- 3% Larsen Bay City sales tax
- Please protect your trip with Travel Insurance
- Tips for your guide and staff.
Photos from this trip:
We look forward to assisting you in finding and booking an amazing fishing trip with the best guides and outfitters in the world. Contact us to get on the books.