Idaho Cougar Hunt
This outfitter runs his hounds in the Salmon River Wilderness area.
This is a small, well run Mom-and-Pop type small operation dedicated to personal service of each client that hunts with them. The mountain lion hunting is conducted December 15 – February 15. These times of the year are consistently the best for snowfall which provide for the best opportunity to catch a trophy male mountain lion.
- Almost perfect shot opportunity on trophy cougars.
- Outfitter owns his own hounds, (he doesn’t hire other houndsman to do his cougar hunts.)
- Comfortable lodging in the outfitters home.
- Delicious home cooked meals prepared by the outfitters wife.
- At least 1 or 2 guides per hunter.
- Top quality equipment used during the hunt 4×4 trucks, snowmobiles etc.
- Also can catch bobcats, coyotes, wolves, marten and beaver on a trapline and all hides can be kept by the hunter. (Time permitting)
- Non-hunting spouses or friends are welcome for a nominal fee.
Resources for this hunt:
Mountain lion hunts can be physically demanding but also the most rewarding and exciting experiences of a lifetime.
They raise and train their own top quality pack of hounds, so they are not dependent on hiring another houndsman to take their hunters. The area they hunt is huge, which allows them to rest areas allowing for selective harvest of mountain lions and not over pressuring the resource.
Help run a trapline!
A new addition to this hunt is the trapline adventure. The outfitter will also combine your trophy cougar hunt with a trapline adventure as a part of the experience. You will be helping the outfitter harvest additional predators like coyotes, bobcats, and possibly wolves. You will also catch other furbearers like mink, marten, fox and beaver.
Lodging and Accommodations
You stay with the outfitter and his family at their home with the lower level finished for the hunters comfort.
Hunters eat their meals with the family, home cooked by Hannah the outfitters wife. You are sent out each day after a delicious breakfast and are packed a sack lunch for your time out in the field. Each evening you’ll return home to a hot dinner at the lodge. Mountain lion hunting begins early in the morning, and can last until dark.
- Lodging in the lower level of the outfitters home. Very comfortable and modern.
- House has WIFI and satellite TV.
- Home cooked meals prepared by the outfitters wife.
Typical Daily Schedule
Each day the hunter awakens to a hearty breakfast and a packed sack lunch to keep you fueled up for a long day of hunting. You will then drive the roads and trails looking for fresh tracks worthy of releasing the high powered hounds. 4 wheel drive trucks and snow machines are used for transportation during these exciting hunts.
- If you’re flying, Missoula, Montana is the closest major airport.
- Most hunters rent a vehicle and drive to Gibsonville ID.
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality outfitters are in high demand so let us know right away, as some trips do book years in advance.
- The hunt is 7 hunting days with the outfitter as your personal guide.
- Home cooked meals
- Lodging in the outfitters home.
- Hunt transportation
- Trophy care
- Top quality hounds
- Travel to the lodge
- Idaho hunting license, and mountain lion tag
- Wolf tag if you wish to purchase one.
- Sales tax
- Trip Insurance
- Gratuities for Staff
Photos from this Hunt:
When you’re ready to book, if you haven’t already ask your Outdoors International Consultant for updated pricing. If it looks good, your consultant will write up a booking agreement for you.