Idaho Steelhead Fishing Trip on the Salmon River
Steelhead fishing for wild-run steelhead on the Salmon River in Idaho.
The Salmon River flows through a granite-walled canyon is one-fifth of a mile deeper than the Grand Canyon. In fact, for almost 180 miles, the Salmon River Canyon is more than one mile deep! Wild and hatchery steelhead enter the Salmon River in the fall and fish runs can greatly depend on the weather and water levels leading up to and in October. Fishing is most productive with gear fishing the deep pools and tail outs of runs. However fly fishing can also be done this time of year with a spey rod.
The Salmon River has some of the best wilderness steelhead fishing in the lower 48 and the wilderness section of river you will be fishing offers many runs to swing while wade fishing.
- Difficulty: Steelhead fishing isn’t easy, and success is never guaranteed.
- Fishing Season: All of October and November can be great fall steelhead fishing, but prime time is the last week of October through the 1st week in November.
- Limit: Limit is 2 hatchery steelhead per day. *All native fish must immediately be released.
- Gear: Both gear fishing and fly fishing trips are possible with this outfitter.
- Wilderness: The beauty and ruggedness of this wilderness area is stunning!
- Lodging: Accommodations are quality Outfitter tents.
- Food: Eat mouth watering home cooked meals prepared over the campfire.
- Trip Reports and Outfitter Reviews
Lodging and Accomodations
- Comfortable wall tent accommodations along the river in our outfitters permitted camp spot. You won’t find a better view to wake up to!
- Great dutch oven style meals that will blow you away! After a day of fishing the food will certainly satisfy your needs.
Typical Daily Schedule
Brent is an incredible river guide and has been operating in this section of the river for many years. He is great at getting guests into steelhead gear fishing with plugs or he can help hone your skills with a spey rod!
- On the first day of your trip you will fish a full day with lunch on the water. Dinner is cooked at camp and prepared by your guide.
- The second day of your trip will be early breakfast followed by all day fishing.
- The final day will be an early breakfast and 3/4 day of fishing before heading back to Vinegar Creek.
- Boise Idaho is the nearest airport and you can rent a car and drive 2 hours to Riggins Idaho.
- You will need to overnight in Riggins Idaho the night prior to your trip. There are plenty of motels and restaurants in this quaint mountain town.
- The morning of your trip the outfitter will you pick you up in a jet boat at Vinegar Creek which is the “end of the road.”
- From there you head up river into the wilderness and the Steelhead fishing adventure begins.
- Pickup is about 8am on the first day of your trip and drop off is about 3pm on the last day of your trip.
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality outfitters are in high demand so let us know right away, as some trips do book years in advance.
- Lodging and meals while on the river
- Guided fishing
- Fishing gear (fly fishermen need to bring their own gear)
- Processing of fish on the river
- Trip Insurance
- Travel to Vinegar Creek boat launch in Riggins, ID
- Overnight stays in Riggins, ID
- Sleeping bag
- Fishing license
- Final fish processing or fish smoking
- Guide gratuity
- Waders and boots if fly fishing
- Beer or liquor
Booking Your Trip
When you’re ready to book, if you haven’t already ask your Outdoors International Consultant for updated pricing. If it looks good, your consultant will write up a booking agreement for you.
Why You Should Choose Outdoors International
Our goal is to be the most respected, knowledgeable and professional Consulting firm in the Outdoor Industry; to offer the best possible outdoor experiences to our clients with outstanding, vetted outfitters; to promote ethics and conservation; and have clients who want to return and use our service again and again.