Fly Fishing Lodge in Belize
If you’re looking for an affordable flats fishing trip, this one’s for you! We even have an unguided option.
On both our fully guided and DIY fishing trips in Belize, you’ll enjoy the rich island culture, authentic restaurants, and challenge of stalking the flats of Ambergris Caye. Serious fly fisherman know that Belize is a mecca for flats fishing. But it’s also so much more. Belize is also a favorite destination for families and couples that enjoy the unparalleled scuba diving and snorkeling available less than a mile from our beach. Ambergris Caye is a year round destination with only a four degree swing in temperatures between winter/summer.
- Fly fishing for Bonefish, Permit, Tarpon, Snook, Barracuda, Jacks
- Newly renovated lodge and brand new private villas!
- Authentic Caribbean cuisine
- Reef and Off Shore fishing available for snapper, grouper, tuna, wahoo, kingfish, barracuda
- Great destination for non fishing partners. Snorkel, dive, shop, kayak, paddle board, relax
- Do it Yourself programs available and customized itineraries
- On-site Fly Shop
- Read Trip Reports and Outfitter Reviews
This fishing lodge is strategically located just 4 miles south of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye overlooking the second longest barrier reef in the world!
You can see bonefish schools right from the dock and your guides will have you on the bow of the boat searching for bonefish, permit, or tarpon just minutes in to your guided trip. Our experienced guides can work with any level fly fisherman or even bring out the spin rods at your request.
The island has miles and miles of beautiful flats for you to explore. Offering incredible fishing for bonefish sometimes seen in schools of a hundred fish other times a few big wary bones will be caught tailing in the turtle grass. Permit are present year round but are best from late February to the end of April. The island offers baby tarpon in the shallows but the adult migration can be best in late June-September. This is when tarpon over 100 pounds can be sight fished and caught.
This rich flats fishery in Belize offers anglers a legitimate shot at the Grand Slam (Bonefish, Permit, Tarpon).
Getting your Grand Slam (a bonefish, permit and tarpon landed in one day of fishing) is almost a weekly occurrence in Belize and even more common in March and April when the permit are more plentiful! In addition, fly anglers and spin fisherman alike can mix it up and try for snook, barracuda, jacks, ladyfish, snapper, cobia, and triggerfish.
San Pedro offers World Class Bonefishing and they are the bread and butter of the flats.
Bonefish are a great way to bend a rod and prepare for the larger fish but don’t be surprised to see your backing or have a fish break you off! Although they are the easiest to catch, our bones will still challenge the seasoned angler.
Many shots at large schools, as well as tailers ensure that nearly everyone can get their fill of bones. If you want a challenge, search out the big singles and doubles cruising the edges of flats. Bonefishing is excellent year round and our water temps do not fluctuate with cold front like farther north such as the Florida Keys or Bahamas.
Any serious saltwater angler knows permit are the Holy Grail of the flats.
Permit will test your skills, your wit and your will. With great numbers of permit traveling the waters that surround our lodge, you will likely have multiple shots and see multiple schools….in a single day! However, don’t think that it will be easy. They are still permit after all.
Permit are present and available almost all season with the peak times being February – May.
The tapon, AKD “Silver King” puts on one of most impressive aerial displays of any fish that swims fresh or saltwater.
They are pure muscle and will put your tackle to the test. Belize has all sizes of tarpon, smaller juvenile tarpon that grow up in the mangroves ranging from 5-20lbs, and migratory ocean tarpon that swim the edges of deeper flats can push upwards of 100 lbs.
Tarpon are present year round but the big fish migrate through these waters in June and July. April – August tend to be the best months for Tarpon fishing.
The lodge offers a high level of comfort with amenities to accommodate any non fishing anglers in your group. You won’t have to feel guilty getting out on the flats to fish.
- Newly renovated lodge has 6 double occupancy rooms with en suite bathroom and tile shower. Each room has custom made Belizean mahogany furniture, tile floors and are tastefully decorated with local artwork and carvings.
- All rooms are ocean view and have personal controlled A/C.
- Expansive hangout and dining area, beverage refrigerator and TV room, large deck overlooking the ocean, pool, cornhole on the beach, private dock etc.
*We also offer exceptional private villas next door that were constructed in 2020. The villas have spacious rooms, King beds, TV, and private overlook balcony and seating.
Authentic Caribbean Cuisine
- Hearty breakfast of eggs, fry jacks, pancakes, etc served with coffee, juice, and fresh fruit.
- Sandwiches and snacks are packed in a personal cooler for lunch.
- Appetizers and Dinner consist of shrimp, conch, lobster, chicken, and pork.
In order to get the most out of your trip communicate and listen to your guides! Have trust in them, often times spotting fish is difficult but they will use the “clock” system to tell you where to cast and how far.
- All of our guides are local and raised on the island and many of them work exclusively with us. We have personally trained these guides over the years to offer a better experience to our clients.
- 2×1 or 1×1 guiding, guides pick you up each morning from the dock. You will discuss what you want to go after for the day and how you want to fish.
- Guides will pole boats and spot fish for you, you may anchor up in a spot or even get out to stalk a flat by foot!
Typical Daily Schedule
- Coffee and breakfast is typically served at 6:30 am.
- You will have a lunch packed for your day on the water and guides arrive at the dock to pick you up at 7:30
- You will return to the dock from your day between 3:30-4:30pm
- Appetizers are served at 6pm followed by 7pm dinner.
These trips are typically Saturday to Saturday but shorter trips can be available dependent on time of year and availability.
- You will need to book commercial flights into Belize City, Belize the morning of the first day of your trip and depart the afternoon of the last day of your trip. Most major airlines fly into Belize city.
- Once you arrive in Belize City you will take a short 15 minute flight to the Island. These flights are offered through Tropic Air.
- Upon your arrival into San Pedro a representative will be waiting to bring you to the lodge.
- *As a more cost effective solution you may take the Belize Express Water Taxi. This is a 1.5 hour water taxi to the island.
Interested in booking this trip? If you have not yet received pricing please request it here, and be sure to reference the trip number at the top of this page. Please note that reservations are not considered finalized until agreed upon deposit is received. This ensures agreed upon dates and current pricing. Quality outfitters are in high demand so let us know right away, as some trips do book years in advance.
Fishing at This Fishing Lodge Includes
- Transfers from San Pedro to the Lodge
- All meals
- Guided fishing days
- Use of all lodge amenities (golf carts, kayaks, paddle boards, bicycles, pool, etc)
- Equipment including rod and reels
- Travel to and from San Pedro
- Terminal tackle and flies
- Hotel and sales tax
- Fishing License
- Any add on fishing day, snorkel trips, or other tours
- Trip Insurance
- Tips to guide and house staff ($50-100 US per day to guide, $100 per week for the Lodge Staff)
Photos from this fishing trip:
When you’re ready to book, if you haven’t already ask your Outdoors International Consultant for updated pricing. If it looks good, your consultant will write up a booking agreement for you.